At a holiday party over the weekend, a friend revealed that he had dated a now-famous TV star while they were both in college. Everyone asked him what she was like. His response? “Oddly enough, she never watched TV. She said all the shows were boring. She wanted to be on Broadway instead.”
I found that tidbit interesting. So all weekend long, I asked people if they had dated some rich, famous, or important — and to tell me one odd or endearing thing about them. This being L.A., I got a lot of responses. Here are the results, with names withheld to protect the innocent.
- Big-name music video director – “He played Dungeons & Dragons every Thursday, so we could never get together that night. He would rather roll dice with his friends than have sex with me. This was after he got famous.”
- Well-known liberal activist – “She would order wine for total strangers in restaurants and insist to be kept anonymous.”
- NFL quarterback – “Honestly, he could barely read. And now he makes millions of dollars.”
- Member of Congress – “I know you won’t believe this, but she’s a very religious, conservative Republican but she was an absolute animal in bed. It was like a movie.”
- Director of comedy movies – “Never tipped anyone. Ever. It was embarrassing.”
- Indie film actor – “He was just famous enough to start getting recognized, and when people asked for his autograph, he was so sweet about it. He seemed really touched. Even when they were bothering us, he took the time to talk to them.”
- Rock star – “She was in a band in college, but she always missed rehearsal (usually to see me) and hardly ever practiced. She even missed two or three shows. I don’t know when she ever got around to learning to play music.”
Have you dated a celebrity, either before or after they made it big? Do you know someone who has? Tell me about it! You can comment here or write to me privately at email@example.com.